Wednesday 12 March 2014

Brookwood Pottery Presidential Commission

I was delighted to be asked to make a piece for the Young Innovators Group from Kilbarrack to present to President Michael D. Higgins at a special reception in the Aras this February. The reception was to celebrate and acknowledge a fantastically successful community festival in Father Matthew Collins park last summer organised by these youth leaders.




Young Innovators Group present President Michael D Higgins with 
                                           specially commissioned work "January, Phoenix Park" February,  2014.                                      
                         
This specially commissioned piece January, Phoenix Park is made from white earthenware clay and colourful underglazes. I often incorporate foliage and flowers in my ceramic artworks and I made a special trip to the Phoenix Park to collect foliage for this piece. January is a bleak but beautiful time in nature and I found some beautiful hanging buds and dried flowers from the recent summer by the duck pond near the Peoples' Park. I wanted to capture the filigree of these plants against the muted January colours of brown, rust red and earth tones. I have always loved the delicate patterns these bare branches make against the skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment